Wednesday, July 22, 2009

NYC v. Boston


I will be traveling to the Northeast today, departing from Gainesville. I have a questionable infatuation with this area of the United States, most likely due to the awesome history of the region. My travels will lead me to Boston by way of bus from New York City, spending 3 nights in each hub of American culture new and old. Right now, I'm waiting to board mini plane. I've never flown on a small jet like I'm about to...it's something crazy like 15 rows os seats, should be an experience.

OK. So I have been back in Gainesville since early Tuesday morning and it has taken until now to come up with the criteria to weigh these two cities against each other. Food, Nightlife, Public Transportation, the People, and finally the sports.

Depending on what you are looking for, each city has its own benefit. But, for my personal liking NYC is where its at. The sheer volume of choices on every block is astronomical, and not only the choices but availabilty of late night food. I did have amazing Italian food in the North End of Boston, so that is definitely worth mentioning.

By far, the people in Boston are waaaaaaay more friendly. I walked the streets of both cities by myself and in NYC the most you get is a head nod from a passerby. Bostonians spoke and even responded when I returned the how you doin' question. It may be the amount of young people that live in Boston, which is refreshing to see when riding the trains. Everyone in NYC is just always in a rush.

As for public transportation NYC domination. The subway system is set immaculate. Everywhere is accessible with a minimal amount of walking to and from each subway stop. The only issue is the cleanliness of the subway cars, but the short wait periods are great. In Boston the main way of moving through the city is by way of the T-Train. This has 4 branches which connect and all lead to the same ending point. The problem is a small amount of cars for each train, long waits, and decently far walks. Although Boston's cars are far cleaner, newer, and more comfortable.

Nightlife doesn't even compare. Bars and clubs close at 2 am in Boston, which blows, it's like being back in Gainesville. The thing is I don't like staying out so late, but that's where the late night food comes into play. In NYC, there is no time to close, just a time to when alcohol is stopped being served.

And now for the sports. Recently speaking, Boston is #1 in the USA, not even just between these two cities. All-time its pretty much up in the air. It really depends on what sport you are talking and even then what era.


So, in the end it happens to be a personal choice. The life in Boston is much more quiet and slow-paced. New York is the city that never sleeps and is another world in and of itself. Personally, I choose NYC.

- Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment

New York Times